Friday, October 27, 2006

Guidelines

I've been asked for some guidelines for this blog. Here they are:

1. You can discuss whatever you want. There are no taboo issues. But you must remember that this isn't just an open forum. This is part of a denomination, meaning that these are people you will see and work with from time to time, and that ultimately there are rules of belonging. On the other hand, the denomination is only as vibrant as it is alive and willing to stretch past man-made confines. You post at your own risk. But at the same time, being reluctant to post may risk the vibrancy of the denomination (the church) herself.

2. Anonymous posts (and comments) will not be allowed. People have their own context and without knowing that context it becomes next to impossible to truly understand their posts. This doesn't mean you have to give us your entire background. Starting with a name is a good start.

3. People outside the denomination are welcome to comment. It is very healthy for us to receive outside perspective. They do however need to sign their name.

4. Think about what you are saying and how you are saying it. The nastiest communications I have ever sent have been email because if it had been in person I would have stopped well before the end. Being relational and respectful doesn't mean being nice. You can vehemently disagree. But be careful not to be disrespectful.

5. You can become a team member and be allowed to make posts (as opposed to just comments) simply by asking me (Brian Miller). Team members will be limited to Churches of God people, both pastors, leaders, and regular attenders since this is the purpose of the blog. Exceptions can be made with good cause.

This blog is not connected to the Emerging Church (McLaren, Pagitt,...) Many of their ideas are reflected here, but it is not an endorsement or official connection. It is also not an official blog of the CGGC though it was started with permission.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thank you for making clear guidelines. I am disappointed that you are eliminating anonymous posts, although I understand your reasoning why. Perhaps one day I could post here under my name without fear, but today is not that day. I will continue to read.

-dusty

10/27/2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Thanks Dusty. I look forward to that day. If there is anything I can do for you, feel free to email me privately.

10/31/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger Ben Tobias said...

Thanks, Brian, for these guidelines. I'm one of those who doesn't like the idea of anonymity. Am I too modern in my perspective, and thus suspicious of those who fear "repercussions"? Perhaps. But prohibiting anonymity helps to safeguard the tone of the discussion. Hopefully these guidelines will enhance our conversations.

Blessings, Ben

11/01/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian. This is Jim Franks from Toledo. Lance has shared with me about this blog. I'd like to share some thoughts from time to time. It says that I need to check with you first. Let me know if I could. Thanks a mil!

Jim.

10/30/2008 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home