Monday, January 25, 2010

KINGDOM VISION AND ARMINIANISM v. CALVINISM

Not long after Reggie NcNeal appeared at IMPACT and I read his book, The Present Future, I met a local pastor for the first time and, as we were getting to know each other, he asked me, “So, Bill, where do you come out on the Calvinist/Arminian issue?”

What I realized in the brief pause in our conversation as I considered my answer was a watershed moment in my life.

I discovered five things about myself.

1. I hadn’t thought about that stuff for a long, long time.
2. I used to care about it, perhaps more than anything else that I believe.
3. I didn’t care about it any longer.
4. I no longer considered the issue to matter in any significant way.
5. I had come to believe that to care passionately about the issue was wrong.

I’m not even sure how I answered my colleague that day. I went very deeply inside myself. I was asking myself who I had become and how I became that and what it meant. My recollection is that I said something like, “You know, I haven’t even thought about that for a long time.”

And, if you asked me today—even if the authorities in my region would ask me under penalty of loss of credentials—I’m not sure what I’d say.

I embrace a theological paradigm so radically different than the one that I used to hold dear that I very simply no longer care about the issue. Not in the slightest. Not at all!

Trust me! This is not a dodge. It is a firm theological conviction based in an understanding of church history that is one of my most strongly and passionately held beliefs.

I believe that the Reformation, with all its promise, deteriorated and crumbled in an argument over the doctrine of soteriology. I believe that the Synod of Dort, in which the Calvinists and Arminians faced off to settle the issue once and for all in the Dutch Reformed Church, is one of the darkest moments that forms the pre-history of the CGGC.

Have you ever wondered why, in a Church History Survey course you spend oodles of time in the 1500s and then quickly shuffle through the next century until you get to the Great Awakenings?

You do that because the 1600s were consumed by the writing of Creeds and arguments over doctrine. Nothing important happened for the Kingdom in that century because, in the Reformed Churches at least, Calvinists, who prevailed over Arminians at the beginning of the 1600s spent that century beating Arminians over the head with doctrine and writing newer and better creeds that defined "Denominational Orthodoxy" with a precision that would make those afflicted with OCD proud.

And, the kingdom languished.

My own study in history is the study of revivalism beginning with the era in which Jesus followers resumed Kingdom Building and stopped dotting ‘i’s and crossing ‘t’s over the most incredibly insignificant points of doctrine.

It is characterized by the collaboration of John Wesley, an ardent Arminian, and George Whitefield, a devoted Calvinist, in awakening Great Britain and its American colonies. These two guys got it that they serve the same Lord gave them a Great Commission that has absolutely nothing to do with resolving issues regarding predestination and election and apostacy. They set aside the inconsequential and took the Good News to the world.

It is characterized by John Winebrenner's close friendship with United Brethren minister Jacob Erb who was asked by Winebrenner to baptize him even though Erb was not, nor would he ever be, a part of the Church of God movement.

One way to understand the history of the Church of God after the death of Winebrenner is that we very quickly lost his core passions for the making of disciples and for the establishment of the church on the New Testament plan so we could take his 27 points, which he created "pro bono publico" (for the benefit of people outside the movement as a point of information), and turn them into points of doctrine to beat each other over the head with.

Certainly, Winebrenner was uncomfortable with the Calvinism of the German Reformed Church but, in my opinion, if you think you are building on his foundation by spending time away from Kingdom building to argue the issue you are very tragically deceived.

If I care at all about the Calvinist/Arminian Debate, it is because my heart breaks over the endless hours of time spent arguing about it because, when you give your passion to something like this, you are neglecting the building of the Kingdom.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dan Masshardt said...

I used to think that it was a priority to figure this debate out.

I no longer think that it is a priority, however, I (in agreement with many Calvinists) believe that it is important. I believe that it's worth thinking about and studying.

HOWEVER, if this study because a purely academic pursuit and distracts from mission, than it is a problem.

The bottom line is that it is not going away. I suppose that we can just choose not to make it important, but I don't think it's going to happen.

If the young, restless and reformed movement shows us anything, it's that young people want to know doctrine. I feel ignoring this would be more harmful than helpful.

Mission first, but let's talk about it as we journey.

1/25/2010 2:52 PM  
Blogger Pat Green He/Him/His said...

Bill,

You expressed sentiments I hold as well, but you expressed them far better and with a greater grasp of history than I could have. Thank you for stating this so eloquently.

1/25/2010 3:50 PM  
Blogger John said...

bill,
as this conversation has gone on, and you've become more open with your vehemence (something i appreciate), i've had something gnawing at me, because what you've been advocating didn't seem to fit what i would expect from you. so i did a little digging into the old posts on the blog, and i found my answer.

back when you were ranting about the "shepherd mafia", you continued to point back to winebrenner, much as you do now. however, you seemed to use his ideas and actions to argue for almost the opposite of what you're talking about in this post. back in your post on winebrenner's sermon on baptism, you were passionate about the pursuit for truth, and celebrated that the movement of the time "demanded uncompromising agreement to the new core truth from all movement participants" (italics mine). it seems that now you're using winebrenner as a model for non-divisiveness.

now i understand that the issues of baptism and of the sovereignty of God are not the same issue. however, i would argue that they are equal in their importance, equally secondary to the core of the gospel.

based on your approach back then, i'd say you were willing to fight and divide over certain, non-salvation-essential truths, which might be put under the heading "denominational orthodoxy". here, you are clearly against dividing over certain other secondary truths.

my question is, do you still think that some secondary issues are worth dividing over (while still maintaining a certain level of fellowship and missional cooperation)? if so, then i think the conversation changes into what some others have asked, namely, what truths will we divide over?

1/25/2010 11:04 PM  
Blogger da said...

Bill said; If I care at all about the Calvinist/Arminian Debate, it is because my heart breaks over the endless hours of time spent arguing about it because, when you give your passion to something like this, you are neglecting the building of the Kingdom.

AMEN

1/26/2010 6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just a regular, run-of-the-mill Church of God member. I read this blog because it's interesting and I like to see what the "big-ups" are discussing.
Most of the time, I roll my eyes, shake my head, or find myself reading and re-reading to try and figure out the point (in regard to Jesus and our job on this earth) of everybody's arguments. This one, Arminianism v. Calvinism? Wow. Seriously. I have never heard of it and I can't say it has affected my walk with Christ at ALL. I don't think it is a realistic part of anyone's walk with Christ. If, as was mentioned, you are interested in it for academic purposes, well, have a good time.

Like I said, I am just one of the folks who lives, serves, and loves within the Churches of God realm. I ignore or make fun of your arguments over silly things like this, or anything else scholarly seminary types like to nit-pick. I'm pretty confident that what we need to know about how to live this life, the Christian life, the pursuit of Christ's Kingdom life- it's all in the Bible. It's not hidden, either. It's right there.

I think, if the CGGC could just come down from the ginormous blob of man-made church-junk it has built all around itself, and get back to the simplicity of what the Bible says, God's work will be done. He can't be seen underneath all the other junk that has been constructed- denominations, creeds, and the like. Rubbish. And I know some of you will get all prickly because I called it rubbish. I wonder what God calls it?

But, then again, I am just your average believer/servant of Christ. I don't study Winebrenner, Calvin, or any of those other guys. Just Jesus.
So, keep up the interesting but silly discussions. I'll keep reading them, but they aren't going to change the world, or the way the Bible tells us to live our lives. Jesus covered all of it, with His life and His blood. And there's a big ol' PERIOD at the end of that sentence. If you get my drift...

1/26/2010 7:59 AM  
Blogger bill Sloat said...

Anonymous,

(You just broke a blog rule and your post will probably be removed so I'll quote it because this post is not breaking the rule.)

So, keep up the interesting but silly discussions. I'll keep reading them, but they aren't going to change the world, or the way the Bible tells us to live our lives. Jesus covered all of it, with His life and His blood. And there's a big ol' PERIOD at the end of that sentence. If you get my drift...

You might be surprise to see me write that I agree with some of what you have written. The part I quoted comes across as lacking in humility and love. If we have sinned against you, I'm sure you know that you should be showing us our sins in the hope of winning us over, not claiming superiority by telling us that we are silly and you know better than we.

And, more importantly, truth does matter. We are searching for and struggling to achieve belief in truth and the life that reflects that truth.

Never forget that Paul began his letter to the believers in the churches in Galatia by saying,

"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!"

Now, run down to your nearest Wal-Mart, buy a large bottle of Equate Brand Humility and Love Tablets and take two every morning and evening until the self-righteous rash over your heart disappears.

: )

1/26/2010 8:14 AM  
Blogger Dan Masshardt said...

I wish somebody had told me that the Bible is simple before I wasted 4 years of undergrad and several years of seminary in addition to countless other hours studying it.

Seriously though...
I believe that all theology is to be practical, that is, to make a difference. If someone is wondering what difference a certain discussion makes, simply ask.

I think that the lack of debate about theology in our churches can be a good thing if we are too busy on mission.

But I think a view that theology doesn't matter - all we need to do is believe it Jesus and grab a concordance - reflects a real weakness that I think many of our churches exhibit.

1/26/2010 8:33 AM  
Blogger bill Sloat said...

Dan,

I suspect that there will never be commitment to mission without a coresponding commitment to truth, especially is this age of inward-focused, institutional (as Reggie McNeal'd say) Churchianity.

1/26/2010 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, I didn't know there were rules, so I apologize, this will be my last post. I also apologize if you think I called you folks silly- I think your discussions are silly (probably because I don't understand 75% of them), not so much you folks (of which I only know one of you personally, and admire him greatly, and he thinks I'm self-righteous and need an emergency humility and love injection, and I whole-heartedly agree that I do- can't find a hat that will fit me!!!) Anyway, I've got to get back to my research on this Arminianism stuff, so I can keep up with you all. Or is my time better spent in the Word? What will I get more out of, studying the Bible, or this other stuff that contains Biblical stuff? That's a serious question, by the way. I would like to know. Should I bother with studying theology if I never intend to become a pastor? In the 5 seconds a day I have to read, are there other things I should be reading, learning about? Is the practicality of theology a pastors-only discussion?
In my personal search for Truth, do I need to search somewhere other than the Bible? Or, is this theology stuff sort of a translator-type of thing for the Bible? Do I need to invest time in this sort of study? I just want to live the right life, do what God wants me to do, and I realize that is all going to depend on my faith, and what I believe. Does my belief need to be seasoned with theological stuff that I won't find in the Bible? I'm confused.

1/30/2010 4:37 PM  
Blogger bill Sloat said...

Anonymous,

There are not many rules.

Actually, the only one is that anonymous posts are not permitted. You are permitted, as I understand it, to post under the monker 'anonymous,' but you still have to sign your posts. We've had problems in the past with people being rude and belligerent and posting anonymously.

I think your post is still there because the official deleter is busy with real life issues.

As far as your questions about studying theology v. studying the Bible: terms like Arminian are like abbreviations. They denote a whole universe of thinking--in this case about issues such as predestination, election the meaning of the death of Jesus on the cross, to what extent a person can freely chose to follow Jesus and whether or not it is possible for a person to lose salvation.

When one of us uses that term, we are writing paragraphs with one word. It's an 17th century version of abbreviating to do a text message.

Should you study theology or the Bible? Of course, you should study the Bible.

One small benefit in being familiar with basic theological terms is that to do so facilitates your engagement with the Body of Christ in discussing matters of truth. You can say more things in fewer words when you are able to use the terms with knowledge. (Of course, you can only use those terms with other people who are familiar with those terms.)

A second small benefit of being familiar with theological terms is that they connect you to believers in other times and places. We are a part of a movement that extends over more than two millenia and all of the continents on the earth. There is some some value in understanding that people in other times and places have thought the same thoughts you think and have reached conclusions that may edify you in your own struggle for truth.

What we are discussing here is something that few of us would bring up in a Sunday School class. But, I believe that there is value in these discussions, among those who know the technical terms, because when we are using terms such as Arminian and Calvinist we are struggling with the most profound issues of our salvation and how we come into relationship with our Lord and remain His followers-and even how we take the Truth to the people who do follow it.

Sorry for thinking that you were speaking of us as silly.

2/01/2010 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home