Friday, March 05, 2010

We Believe (in 3-part harmony)

I realize not everyone sees the need for a document like "We Believe." However, I think there are some who do, and who would like to see changes made to what we currently have. I am not on the WB 2.0 committee, and don't really know anything about it, but these are some thoughts I have had.

I happen to think it is important that our denomination have some kind of document that outlines what we are about (what we believe). I know we all need to repent and learn how to read our Bibles correctly, but some need help getting there. I think that is where documents like this come in. Sure, it won't be able to explain everything, or everyone's perspective, but it can serve as a guide of sorts. So I am in favor of some kind of document - though I highly favor one that is as brief, brief, brief as possible, because it seems the more you say, the more you alienate and/or confuse people. I think it is helpful to know what unites us, what drives us, as well as some of the beliefs our founder held dear. But I would like to think we could also be inclusive and respectful of those who maybe don't agree wholeheartedly with our own particular opinion, but walk a similar path.

So I wonder if we could borrow an idea from our United Brethren brethren. They have a short and simple "confession of faith" (similar to a creed), a "tradition," and a set of "core values." The confession of faith is what you MUST be in agreement with; whereas the tradition is merely composed of things they have *traditionally* practiced or believed, but they are not necessarily binding in order to be a part of their tribe.

Why couldn't we have a booklet that contained: Our Beliefs, Our Tradition, and Our Values?

OUR BELIEFS would be those things that are absolutely non-negotiable. A very brief statement on what we believe about God, the Holy Spirit, the Bible, and maybe the Church. I would think one or two pages could suffice (or, God forbid, we just use the Nicene or Apostles Creed as a guide; but I would be okay with what is presently in WB).

OUR TRADITION could include our historic stance in other areas (for the sake of argument, the rest of "We Believe" perhaps): humanity, free moral agency, regeneration, justification, sanctification, the ordinances, presentation of children, ministry of reconciliation, and last things (if it even needs to be included). This would give people an idea of what we have been like, but it would also not exclude those who may have differences, because, let's face it, we all know there are already people and whole churches in our denomination who do not hold to all the same views regarding these things. I don't think it means we can't still get along and work together for the sake of the kingdom.

Then the CORE VALUES could be ...whatever it is that they are.

Anyway... just a thought. Certainly it's not perfect, but personally I prefer this to a more wordy document. And I think we need clarification on whether we expect people to adhere to everything in WB, or whether it is merely a guide.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan Masshardt said...

These are good thoughts. I guess it feels to me at this point like the other document has a better chance of getting some traction.

I like your ideas about this - they would make good suggestions to the 2.0 committee I think.

3/03/2010 12:53 PM  
Blogger sdennie said...

I appreciate your reference to our simple Confession of Faith, which has served us well (and has never been changed) since 1815.

We United Brethren in Christ can keep it simple because of a core value which is a huge part of our church culture. It's expressed in our Core Values, but more simply in this paragraph which precedes the section of our Discipline which deals with behavioral standards:

"The Bible gives clear instruction on many issues, but on other issues, it leaves room for Christians of equal spiritual commitment and insight to disagree. The church's historic position has been to stand firm on biblical absolutes, allow freedom where the Bible allows freedom, and maintain unity when disagreements arise."

In short: there are gobs of issues that we refuse to get hung up about, while remaining conservative evangelical.

3/08/2010 8:39 AM  
Blogger bill Sloat said...

Dan,

I have been advocating the formation of a United Brethren like movement in the CGGC for some time now.

I'm in.

3/24/2010 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home